A Spring Refresh for the Door

March 2021

This was a big project (for little old me) and so I decided to document it.

The finish was flaking off in a distinctly unattractive way.

Yet, when I sanded it down, there was lovely natural wood underneath.

It was a bit painstaking! But little by little it came off.

Here's the angle grinder attachment I used.

Almost there!

The toughest sections were at corners of the millwork. For some areas with fine detail, I used a small chisel.

The finished door.

Instead of paint or stain, I used a natural oil to complete the job. And yes, I did eventually put the knobs back on!

Very few supplies needed.

Return to galleries homepage